Tuesday, February 26, 2008

collage is your friend




Why am I so drawn to collage? It seems no matter what creative medium I get into, I always find myself returning to collage (decoupage too!). Here are some collages I did a few years ago. I'm thinking of making prints and putting them up in my etsy shop but I haven't decided. When I made them, the creativity came from such a deep place inside me that they almost feel too personal to sell to others. I look at them and I see an intimate part of myself. Do I really want such a intimate expression of mine up on someone's wall? But on the other hand, each one brings me a warm comforting feeling when I look at them, and so they bring me great happiness. Shouldn't I share that with other people? I think it comes down to the fact that as artists, we are sharing a deeply personal part of our selves when we go public with our work. It almost feels like if the work were criticized it would be a direct criticism on us. So I think it's the old fear of rejection thing. But maybe that's an even better reason to go public with it, even if it makes you feel vulnerable.










2 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE your collages! I've been into decoupage since the early 70's when I was gluing mushrooms on wooden purses! LOL

Thanks so much for the lovely comment you left on our blog! Jo :)

Tizzalicious said...

Your collages are great!

I really love doing them too, there's something about them!